Monday, December 15, 2008

The Quest For Project Shitheap 3.0

Somewhere below "gynecological examination" and "root canal" on my List of Things I Enjoy is car shopping.

However, the Nissan? It is dead. Fuck that fucking car in its fucking carhole. I'm still pissed because I can't even come to a decision about how to get its carcass out from in front of my house. It is, theoretically, still worth money. I guess. But it needs work and I am sure as shit not investing another dime in it.

If it weren't so cold I'd go outside and hit it with a stick.

Anyway, so without the Nissan we have only Ophelia the Saturn. This is a great little car, however, it has over 156,000 miles on it. I'm WAY too big of a chickenshit for this to be our sole source of transportation. That means that we either move someplace warm and walkable, or I gird my loins and shop for cars. If we had a traditionally gendered distribution of labor Chez Nous, I could dump this particular shit chore on The Boy. Alas, though, that's not how we roll.

Fortunately, I have good and generous friends who are willing to help with their knowledge and encouragement. So far, I've only been moderately annoyed with dealership minions, and I have yet to truly want to call someone a motherfucker. I am, to my mind, doing ok.

My sort of unique perspective as a car buyer in the current economy does not escape me. I can't walk by a radio and not hear something about the proposed domestic auto bailout, and I really, really know why the domestic car companies are doing so poorly.

Even now, after all this time, the domestic automakers are building shit. Seriously, there are hardly any domestic cars that I can even convince myself to test drive, and the one that is remotely tempting is basically a Toyota. Seriously. I was looking at a used car online that had less than 15,000 miles and was priced almost 50% less than the new cars I'm looking at, and I still am not sure I want to even test drive the damn thing. If it were a used version of one of the imports I am looking at, it would probably already be in the fucking driveway. Detroit has finally managed to build cars so unappealing that they practically can't give them away.

I say that my car is just a tool, a toaster on wheels, but seriously? I would never buy a toaster that fucking ugly.

No comments: