Thursday, March 22, 2007

Vacation, Part the Second

Today was my first day back at work, and all I can say about that is that work is not nearly as much fun as vacation.

As for relating the rest of my vacation stories . . . well, I was drunk. And my friends were drunk. And I got a sunburn which is okay because it didn’t hurt that much and when I came back to work it was perfectly obvious that I had gone SOMEWHERE, which is half the point, isn’t it?

But really, there isn’t much to tell that would be at all amusing to outsiders. Was it fun? Duh, stupid. I had a wonderful time, but there are not really any stories of the “First, and then, and then, and finally, the end,” variety, you know? Not much can be said about sitting around getting drunk and laughing into the night, except that it is one of the truly marvelous human activities.

As is late night swimming in a too-cold ocean. At some point, clad in a bathing suit and a liquor wetsuit, I decided to go for a midnight swim. It was amazing, there is no other word for it. Just me and the water, laughing under a huge, black sky. It will be one of my favorite memories of this vacation, and it’s one I didn’t really share with anyone (even though poor Greg did come out to check on me, but he chose not to continue his swim because I wasn’t drowning and the ocean was too cold). Somehow, that almost makes it cooler. I had some shit I needed to say to the ocean and the stars, anyway.

Now, back to the world . . .


No comments: