Thursday, February 15, 2007

Cold day thinking

Not much going on here, winter continues sap my energy and ruin my fragile peace.

As the Bush administration seems to be building a case for attacking Iran, and as the Congress chases its tail by criticizing President Retread while apparently doing nothing to curtail his wild and wacky abuses of power, I have declared a partial news moratorium. It’s not that the news isn’t important; it’s just that it is so relentlessly bad that I find myself unequal to coping with it in my current winter-weakened condition.

One exception to the aforementioned news break is my seeming inability to avert my eyes from the ongoing car wreck that is the St. Louis City Schools. District parents are all in an uproar because the state is considering revoking accreditation and taking over control of the district. Now, I don’t blame these parents for being pissed. I do, however, find myself wondering if they’re pissed off about the right things.

After all, the St. Louis Public Schools have been failing to adequately educate City students for years. Economic mismanagement is rampant; schools are rife with lousy teachers; and the school board has degenerated into a backyard spitting contest. Why shouldn’t the state take over? I mean, I really don’t think they could possibly do a worse job. St. Louis City parents can howl all they want about local control, but they can’t break the intractable morons running the teachers’ union. They can’t force the fucktards on the School Board to hire and retain a superintendent who is worth a tinker’s damn. I usually try not to say this, as it seems like tempting fate, but I don’t see how things can get any worse.

No comments: